Monday 7 July 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

I’ve just come back from a lovely tour of Oxford. Jeff Childers showed us the highlights, including some of the famous churches and colleges, and the streets we ought to know, like the High Street and...well, other streets I’m sure I will learn eventually. I followed the Childers around today, so I didn’t need to consult a map. Perhaps I will gradually learn my way around the city in little bits and in, perhaps, drier weather.

After the tour, everyone in my group got about £40 apiece from the CashPoints on the High Street, where much of the good shopping in Oxford is, then we all went to a wonderful grocery store just up the street from where we were, called Sainsbury’s, to get enough food for dinner for the next few nights...hopefully. I bought some fresh bread, pasta, marinara sauce, bananas, cereal, and a water bottle, so I think I’ll be fine for the next few days, especially since we’re getting lunch for free tomorrow at Exiter College, I believe, and if we like it, for about £4 a meal for the rest of our time here.

We got out of Sainsbury’s just as it started to rain and walked about a mile or so back to the houses. It was quite an experience, since I hadn’t thought to bring my umbrella or raincoat (I hadn’t realized that the tour was going to last that long, or turn into a shopping expedition - I suppose I should be prepared for anything in England), and I’m now trying to dry my jeans and jacket and thinking about how wonderful a hot supper is going to taste. Yum. Penne pasta marinara.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I had a similar blog title...What is it about the rest of the world that makes it rain so much...oh yeah! We live in a desert! I hope that everything is seeming new but great! I know you are going to have such a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

I remember when I took my trip to England that it didn't rain of me for the first 2 weeks I was there. I was actually disappointed too because I had gone out and bought this new compact umbrella that I could fit in my back pack and I only got to use it once while I was over there. :-P

Anonymous said...

Glad you are there safely and that i could find your blog with the help of Elizabeth:)