Thursday 10 July 2008

Walking

Today was great fun because I decided to break off from the group. After the Symposium at Linacre, Rebekah, T’auna and Emily decided to have a picnic in Oxford Parks, and I didn’t really want to walk all the way back home just yet, so I walked toward the city center, which is the intersection of the High Street and Cornmarket. I got £40 at the CashPoint and went into the Blackwells book store (they have Paper Blanks there! Just sitting there! I have to order my Paper Blanks off of Amazon!) and got a sandwich. Then, finding nothing there worth paying as much in pounds as they cost in dollars in the US, I went to the Oxford Parks myself and sat and ate my sandwich in the shade of a tree. It was lovely.

The best part about strolling around Oxford by myself was that I could set my own pace and really just gape at everything (not really, though, because I want to blend in). I eavesdropped on conversations, listening to the various accents and languages. I find that if someone says something to me in a British accent, if I respond with only a few words, I repeat the accent back at them without meaning to. It’s quite funny. I took the time to appreciate the sights, the sounds, and yes, the smells of Oxford. Actually, Oxford doesn’t really smell like a city except in the heavily trafficked areas. It’s more of a flowery-decaying smell, since everything remains wet for most of the year.

And, I know most of you reading this don’t understand my Lit. Crit. class, but today we talked about the nature of the Trinity. How God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are all interdependent. The Father relies on the Son to be the path to him and the Holy Spirit to be the one who sends his message out. Without the Father, the Son wouldn’t have anything to point to and without the Holy Spirit, the Son would have no way to convey the fact that there is a path. And Holy Spirit needs both the Father and the Son to have something to convey: truth and the way. At least, that’s how I mostly understood it. I had a headache after this lesson, trying to wrap my mind around it.

We’re going to London tomorrow! I’m taking my camera and will have many neat pictures to put up soon!

No comments: